9th Grade Enrollment Process
2023-2024 School Year
Welcome to Berkeley High School! This page provides details on registration into Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) and Berkeley High School (BHS), the course selection process, and World Language and Math Placement.
Stay informed on the BHS E-tree. The E-tree is an essential source of information about orientation, registration, school events, sports, Student Daily Bulletin, College Advisors’ Bulletin, messages from the Principal, volunteer opportunities, and more. Please watch for postings with the subject line: Incoming Families. To subscribe to the BHS E-tree, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word subscribe in the subject line.
Continuing Enrollment for Current BUSD 8th Graders
and Admissions for NEW-to-BUSD students
Continuing BUSD Students: Current BUSD 8th-grade students must re-register.
NEW to BUSD Students: Students must first be admitted into Berkeley Unified School District to be assigned to Berkeley High School.
This process is only for Berkeley residents. Information regarding inter-district transfers can be obtained from the Admissions Office by calling 510-644-6504 or emailing email@example.com.
Berkeley Unified School District uses a centralized student matriculation process, with two steps:
- Enrollment: Parents/guardians submit required documents in order to enroll students into Berkeley Public Schools. Students are then assigned to a school (in this case BHS) by the Admissions Office.
- Registration: The Admissions Office will then provide parents/guardians with instructions on how to register at the student’s assigned school.
Step 1: ALL ENTERING 9TH GRADERS must submit an enrollment packet to the BUSD Admissions Office
Enrollment Dates: November 14 – December 16, 2022
Enrollment will be accepted by email only:
- Enrollment Dates: November 14 – December 16, 2022
- Enroll with Admissions Office
- Submit all forms with all required documents as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org in one single email, documents through multiple emails will not be accepted.
- Once parents have submitted all of the required documents and are approved by the admissions office, you will receive an email confirmation within 5 business days assigning your student to Berkeley High School.
- Once you receive the confirmation email, you will need to follow the instructions in the email to complete Step #2
- Families who do not submit a completed enrollment packet by December 16th will not be assigned to a 9th-grade Hive or receive a class schedule until parents have completed the enrollment process.
- If you miss the December deadline, online enrollment will open again on March 27, 2023.
- If you have questions, please call the Admissions Office at 510-644-6504 or email email@example.com.
Please note that incomplete or incorrect documents submitted on December 16th will not be granted extensions. We highly recommend you submit documents as early as possible.
Step 2: Berkeley High Registration
Now you must complete the registration process for Berkeley High School.
Submit assignment provided by admissions and registration packet with attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the registration packet is submitted you will receive a confirmation email.
Your students enrollment is not finalized until you have completed the registration process by deadline noted in your email confirmation from the Admissions office.
Step 3: Complete Course Selection and Placement Assessments
Continuing BUSD Students:
BHS administrators and Hive Leads will visit BUSD middle schools only to do Zoom class presentations for 8th grade students. During the school days following in-class presentations, BHS counselors will have Zoom sessions at each middle school to gather course requests from students via an online form. BHS will email the student selections for final review and families/guardians will have one week to request changes using an online form.
NEW-to-BUSD Students only:
Course Selection: New-to-BUSD students who have completed the admission process by the December deadline can make course requests in March.
World Language and Math Placement (All Students)
Please check back here at the end of February/beginning of March for information about placement exams.