9th Grade Enrollment Process
2021-2022 School Year
Welcome to Berkeley High School! This page provides details on registration into Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) and Berkeley High School (BHS), the course selection process, and World Language and Math Placement.
Stay informed on the BHS E-tree. The E-tree is an essential source of information about orientation, registration, school events, sports, Student Daily Bulletin, College Advisors’ Bulletin, messages from the Principal, volunteer opportunities, and more. Please watch for postings with the subject line: Incoming Families. To subscribe to the BHS E-tree, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word subscribe in the subject line.
Continuing Enrollment for Current BUSD 8th Graders
and Admissions for NEW-to-BUSD students
Continuing BUSD Students: Current BUSD 8th-grade students must re-register.
NEW to BUSD Students: Students must first be admitted into Berkeley Unified School District to be assigned to Berkeley High School.
This process is only for Berkeley residents. Information regarding inter-district transfers can be obtained from the Admissions Office by calling 510-644-6504 or emailing email@example.com.
Berkeley Unified School District uses a centralized student matriculation process, with two steps:
- Enrollment: Parents/guardians submit required documents in order to enroll students into Berkeley Public Schools. Students are then assigned to a school (in this case BHS) by the Admissions Office.
- Registration: The Admissions Office will then provide parents/guardians with instructions on how to register at the student’s assigned school.
Step 1: ALL ENTERING 9TH GRADERS must submit an enrollment packet to the BUSD Admissions Office
Enrollment Dates: November 16 – December 18, 2020
Enrollment will be accepted by email only:
- Enrollment Dates: November 16 – December 18, 2020
- Enroll with Admissions Office
- Submit all forms with all required documents as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org in one single email, documents through multiple emails will not be accepted.
- Once parents have submitted all of the required documents and are approved by the admissions office, you will receive an email confirmation within 5 business days assigning your student to Berkeley High School.
- Once you receive the confirmation email, you will need to follow the instructions in the email to complete Step #2
- Families who do not submit a completed enrollment packet by December 18th will not be assigned to a 9th-grade Hive or receive a class schedule until parents have completed the enrollment process.
- If you miss the December deadline, online enrollment will open again in March 2021.
- If you have questions, please call the Admissions Office at 510-644-6504 or email email@example.com.
Please note that incomplete or incorrect documents submitted on December 18th will not be granted extensions. We highly recommend you submit documents as early as possible.
Step 2: Berkeley High Registration
Now you must complete the registration process for Berkeley High School.
- Complete the Registration Packet and attach necessary documents.
- Submit assignment provided by admissions and registration packet with attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the registration packet is submitted you will receive a confirmation email.
Your students enrollment is not finalized until you have completed the registration process by deadline noted in your email confirmation from the Admissions office.
Step 3: Complete Course Selection and Placement Assessments
Continuing BUSD Students:
BHS administrators and Hive Leads will visit BUSD middle schools only to do Zoom class presentations for 8th grade students. During the school days following in-class presentations, BHS counselors will have Zoom sessions at each middle school to gather course requests from students via an online form. BHS will email the student selections for final review and families/guardians will have one week to request changes using an online form.
NEW-to-BUSD Students only:
Course Selection: New-to-BUSD students who have completed the admission process by the December deadline can make course requests in March.
World Language and Math Placement (All Students)
World Language: Berkeley High offers: Spanish, French, Mandarin, and Latin.
- Students who have completed two years of a language in middle school will be placed in Level 2.
- If you would like to be placed at a higher level, you should take the placement test. Students starting a new language will be placed in Level 1.
Math Placement: The majority of BHS students will be placed in Math 1, a course covering algebra, geometry, probability, and statistics. Some students may test into an accelerated version of Math 1. The test will consist of topics and skills covered in 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade common core math. This means that previous coursework must include familiarity with both Algebra and Geometry topics.
- If you are currently enrolled in BUSD you will take the placement test at your school in April.
- If you are new to BUSD and are interested in taking the test for Advanced Math 1, you will come to BHS (date to be determined) in April.
The test will be approximately 1 hour. Additional time for students who receive accommodations will be provided. If you have an IEP/504 plan and need test accommodations please email your recent plan to Kiernan Rok, Vice Principal, email@example.com. You may also email him for questions regarding math placement.