Hello BHS Students,
We are very excited to welcome you back on Monday, August 17th, for the 2020-21 school year.
Please find below information about our BHS School Year (8 Terms) Calendar, Class Schedule, and Expectations/Policies.
If you have any questions, please contact your Small Learning Community (SLC) Administrator as follows:
- AC: Tammy Rose at email@example.com
- AHA and CAS: Kiernan Rok at firstname.lastname@example.org
- AMPS and Universal 9th Grade: Tonia Coleman at email@example.com
- BIHS: Carrie Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please continue to check your berkeley.net student email for more information from your teachers as we near the start of the school year.
Berkeley High School Distance Learning Expectations and Policies 2020-21: Students & Families
Expectations during live Zoom classes and small group support
- Zoom cameras ON: All students are expected to have their camera on during live instruction on Zoom. If a student has a specific reason why they cannot have their camera on, they must make arrangements with their teacher before that class period. Even with an arrangement, the student must have their camera on for the first 10 minutes of class to verify student identity.
- Post first and last names: Students’ first and last names must appear on their Zoom window when they are in a class
- The same expectations that apply to students on campus apply to students during Distance Learning
BHS will use:
- Zoom for live classroom instruction
- Google Classroom to share and receive students assignments as well as disseminate classroom materials
- Remind to communicate with students and families
- Students will receive letter grades on the A-F scale (For more information on the BHS grading policies and procedures, please see the BHS Course Catalog 20-21)
- Grades will be updated in Illuminate
Attendance at all online Zoom classes is required.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: Students must attend all scheduled 1-hour classes for the entire period
- Wednesday: Attendance for the entire 45-minute support period is mandatory for any student whose participation is requested by the instructor. Instructors will send notifications via Remind.
Teachers will take attendance daily in Illuminate using the codes below:
|CODE||Distance Learning Criteria|
|Unverified – UNV||Missed daily check in AND/OR did not participate in synchronous instruction for the day|
|Partial Participation- PAR||Missed a portion of the live instruction OR components of class activity/daily assignment|
Independent Work & Homework
In order to ensure that BHS meets state instructional minutes guidelines, teachers will provide students with asynchronous work (independent work & homework) throughout the week:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: Approximately a minimum of 20 minutes per class period
- Wednesday: A minimum of 70 minutes per class period
Communication with Families
Communication between teachers and families is essential during Distance Learning, so time will be provided in teachers’ schedules to allow for regular, proactive communication
- All emails from families and students will be returned within two school days
- Teacher will contact if student is absent more than one day/week
- Teachers will use Remind as the primary tool for engaging parents and guardians
Expectations for Students Enrolled in AP and IB courses
More information to come later this week
For more information about BHS academic practices and policies, please refer to the BHS Course Catalog 20-21.
Juan Manuel Raygoza
Berkeley High School